oVirt Sync Call Meeting Minutes :: 2011-09-21

Robyn Bergeron rbergero at redhat.com
Thu Sep 22 20:05:14 UTC 2011

oVirt Sync Call Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 14:00 UTC (10:00am US Eastern, 07:00am
US Pacific)

== Invitees/Attendees ==
project-planning at ovirt.org list subscribers

If you do not currently have this call on your calendar and would like
it to be, please send rbergero at redhat.com an email.

  * Robyn Bergeron (Red Hat)
  * Kyle Mestery (Cisco)
  * Carl Trieloff (Red Hat)
  * Frank Novak (IBM)
  * Karsten Wade (Red Hat)
  * Alexander Graf (SuSe)
  * Anthony Ligouri (Red Hat)
  * Livnat Peer (Red Hat)
  * Itamar Heim (Red Hat)
  * Andrew Cathrow (Red Hat)
  * Perry Myers (Red Hat)
  * Jon Benedict (NetApp)

== Project Schedule ==
  * Ongoing oVirt workshop promotion
  * oVirt Workshop - November 1, 2, 3
    * USA - CA - hosted by Cisco
      * Press release post workshop
      * Community startup at workshop
      * Schedule first community release
  * Community Infrastructure
    * Launch at workshop
    * First release - January/February.

== Action Items ==
  * Livnat to work with Carl re: Google analytics
  * Carl to start Google Doc re: starting to work the agenda
  * Karsten to get wiki live

== Agenda ==

0) Quick Updates:
  * Update from going live:
    * 2800 views yesterday
    * 1050~ views today thus far
    * Most traffic is being referred from twitter
  * Google Analytics would be a good idea, by names/geos - very easy for
someone who knows how. Livnat to work with Carl to get it going.

1) Board invites, status
  *  New confirmations / Follow-up on confirmations in progress:
    * (COMPANY NAME REDACTED - INFO:  http://lists.ovirt.org/mailman/project-planning/2011-September/000283.html)
    * (COMPANY NAME REDACTED - INFO:  http://lists.ovirt.org/mailman/project-planning/2011-September/000283.html) (Mike Day)
    * (COMPANY NAME REDACTED - INFO:  http://lists.ovirt.org/mailman/project-planning/2011-September/000283.html) (Jan W.)
    * (COMPANY NAME REDACTED - INFO:  http://lists.ovirt.org/mailman/project-planning/2011-September/000283.html) - (COMPANY NAME REDACTED - INFO:  http://lists.ovirt.org/mailman/project-planning/2011-September/000283.html) - updating
    * Waiting on (COMPANY NAME REDACTED - INFO:  HTTP://LISTS.OVIRT.ORG/MAILMAN/PROJECT-PLANNING/2011-SEPTEMBER/000283.HTML)
    * (COMPANY NAME REDACTED - INFO:  http://lists.ovirt.org/mailman/project-planning/2011-September/000283.html) - Waiting to hear back

2) Project launch status / Progress review
  * Website is live
  * Project announcement, invites have been sent
    * rsvp at ovirt.org
    * Do we need to have folks on the Google docs attendee list re-sign up?
    * OVA press release
  * Workshop is next major milestone

3) oVirt Workshop / Summit
  * Nov. 1, 2, 3, Cisco Main Campus, San Jose.
  * Details:
    * Attendee count, registration
    * Evening events/activities
    * Food
  * Need to get agenda firmed up by next Friday or possibly even Wednesday.
  * First morning
    * Introductions, running through full source via demonstration,
scope of initial contribution, how it works. Afternoon: Start with
initial architectural overviews of components together as a group.
  * Tuesday morning
    * Dev environment, etc. How to get started.
  * Other key aspects: Deeper dive around key components. Hardware
enablement (Intel), IBM additional thoughts - additional sessions from
other perspectives would be good.
  * Create a google doc, or possibly wiki? Carl to make notes somewhere
(google docs, just need a wiki to post and will move over.)
  * Multiple audiences - developers as well as participants/observers.
What's optimal for each of those groups?
  * IBM (Anthony speaking) hopes to answer - how to participate? What
are the areas that people can dive into immediately and can help with?
Make sure we have time for discussion. Need to have time to discuss how
we can move forward. Kyle (Cisco) agrees. Dive-in sessions very useful,
esp. for an event like this. BoFs or barcamp-style would be useful.
  * Gap analysis? Is that useful? Yes.
  * Want to walk away fromworkshop with ideas, etc. We can start those
discussions For other participants, it's hard for them to commit on
behalf of the rest of their companies.
  * Getting pre-work is very important to make sure that we get things
out of the workshop.
  * Agreeing on first release date may be another thing to consider.
  * What's the most useful stuff for prior to workshop? Suggestions:
    * Gap analysis (at least from red hat's perspective), so they can
see how it aligns with other interests in their companies
    * Documentation
    * Possible to post a recorded demo to oVirt website?
    * Links to existing info from Summit, etc. is possible
  * Need to do:
    * Documentation onto resources page
    * Relevant presentations from 3.0
    * Creating Demos around 3.0 release
    * Gap analysis
    * Roadmap / pick list
    * Feature pages? (ie: similar to Fedora?)

4) Infrastructure (ongoing agenda item)
  * Project naming status
  * BZ, mailing lists.
  * Wiki expected to be up in ~24hr
  * Gerrit coming as well
  * Discuss changing time / duration on the list

5) Other updates / Agenda topics