virtualization benchmark suites

Michael D Day mdday at us.ibm.com
Thu Sep 22 21:01:43 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

I spoke with several financial customers interested in KVM earlier this
week and two topics we discussed were KVM benchmarking and the oVirt
community. Two of the customers suggested that we contribute benchmarking
suites to oVirt as projects, and that we form a benchmarking community
under oVirt.

IBM has successfully contributed a benchmark called DayTrader to the Apache
foundation and formed a community around that benchmark, which tests
middleware using transaction and networking workloads.

I'm not proposing DayTrader. But IBM does have some distributed benchmarks
that may be interesting to the community. And others of you probably also
have similar test suites.

What is the group's feeling about benchmarking projects? If there's
interest I'll pursue things on our end (no promises). But I think this is
good feedback from our customers and am interested to hear comments on the
idea.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Day
IBM Distinguished Engineer
Chief Virtualization Architect, Open Systems Development
Cell: +1 919 371-8786 | mdday at us.ibm.com
http://code.ncultra.org