[Users] HA schema for ovirt?

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Fri Nov 4 21:54:50 UTC 2011

On 11/04/2011 05:46 PM, José Román Bilbao wrote:
> Thanks for the info. I am committed to help on this, but I don't know
> where to start... Can you point me on the right direction?

Depends on what your short term priority is.  Could be any one of the
following areas:

* Helping to write an upstream whitepaper/wiki on using standard
clustering solutions to make oVirt Engine HA.  Brandon Perkins from Red
Hat wrote something up specific to RHEL, perhaps you could help him with
a POC using Pacemaker in a distro like Ubuntu or SLES.  (Brandon said
he'd handle the writeup of Fedora HA + oVirt Engine)

* Helping the oVirt Engine team with leveraging app server clustering to
make the engine HA aware.  I don't know the details here, so your best
path is to join the engine-devel mailing list and start submitting small
patches on the engine in order to better learn the codebase so that you
can then help with larger features like this

* Helping the vdsm team with implementing node policy for moving some HA
features to the endpoints instead of needing the engine.  Joining
vdsm-devel at lists.fedorahosted.org and starting to learn the codebase
there by submitting some small patches to start with is a good idea

Basically, start small.  Push some patches upstream to show that you
have a good understanding of the codebase, and then start writing up
proposals for the upstream list that outline how you think best to
tackle some of these more advanced features.  Certainly, implementing
engine HA or vdsm policy is not a trivial exercise, so it will involve
input and development from many people.

Hope that helps

Perry