[Users] ovirt vs RHEV-M

José Román Bilbao Castro jrbcast at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 08:27:30 UTC 2011

Hi,

I will tell you my experience last week building and using oVirt. The
installation process is long but easy if you follow the instructions
(although I encountered some small problems). One oVirt is installed you can
access it through port 8080. For a production environment I would not
recommend using oVirt right now. It is still under development and some
important features are not yet available on the web interface, namely the
configuration options, the storage configuration and high availability.
Therefore, it will surely not fit your requirements now. But as a work in
progress I would recommend you to follow its development as sooner than
later it will be a polished and usable product. In the meantime, If money is
what concerns you, RHEL is free but after 60 days you won’t have access to
support nor updates (which is not critical if the system is running behind a
firewall or is on an intranet which is not probably the case). If money is
not an issue, go for RHEL or Citrix XenServer. And If money is definitely
not an issue at all, I would go for vSphere from vmware as the best
available choice for a production environment.

Also, other alternatives exist for servers virtualization like proxmox (the
2.0 beta is out) and eucalyptus (which will be release 3 soon).

Don’t hesitate to contact me If you have further questions on my experiences
will all that software,

Regards,

Jose.