[Users] On oVirt 3.1, Fedora 16 and 17 hang at boot

Jason Brooks jbrooks at redhat.com
Thu Jun 21 15:37:05 UTC 2012

On 06/20/2012 11:18 PM, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 06/21/2012 06:35 AM, Bing Bu Cao wrote:
>> Hi,everyone
>>
>> I have also met this problem recently,but I was just using vdsm to
>> create a vm and boot it to install FC16/17 instead of using ovirt-engine.
>>
>> Maybe it is a bug or problem of vdsm.
>> I also met one problem:
>> After created a vm,after a while,trying to get info or shutdown the
>> vm,the vm will be not responding.
>>
>> I have no idea whether the two problems are relative.
>>
>> On 06/21/2012 12:38 AM, Jason Brooks wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I'm testing oVirt 3.1 with a few different VM types, and I'm
>>> experiencing boot issues with Fedora 16 and 17, 64bit. F17 hangs while
>>> booting from the F17 install DVD. F16 installs normally (minimal
>>> install), but hangs during the initial boot after installation. The F16
>>> VM will boot to rescue mode, however.
>>>
>>> The VM appears to get through the full boot process, but then the CPU
>>> usage goes to 99 or 100% and the VM won't respond. I've tried with spice
>>> and vnc consoles, with and without USB enabled. I've let it sit for
>>> quite a while, and the VM CPU usage stays pegged, and the VMs remain
>>> unresponsive.
>>>
>>> CentOS 6.2 and Ubuntu 12.04 VMs, both 64bit, work normally on my oVirt
>>> 3.1 setup. Any idea what might be causing the issue, or how I might go
>>> about debugging it?
>
> did you try ide disk instead of virtio? a VM without a nic?

I just tried booting from the F17 installer with each of these cases:
using an ide disk, using no disk, using e1000 nic, rtl8139 nic, no nic.
I've also tried with both preallocated and thin provisioned disks. All
the same: the F17 install dvd hangs at boot.

The same F17 dvd image, when accessed from the same nfs share via
virt-manager on my F17 notebook, works as expected.

The F16 dvd image boots at least, as does the boot.fedoraproject.org
image, though Fedora systems installed with either of those do not boot.

Maybe I'll try building a new vdsm to test.

Jason