[Users] Anyone started working on the documentation for GlusterFS and Ovirt 3.1 yet?

Robert Middleswarth robert at middleswarth.net
Sat Jun 9 20:32:15 UTC 2012

On 06/09/2012 11:33 AM, Haim Ateya wrote:
> adding Shireesh\Daniel
>
> Hi Robert,
>
> afaik, there is no official documentation that show's how to work
> with glusterFS using oVirt since its too new and we are in early integration phases (shireesh, correct me if i'm wrong).
That is why I asked is anyone has started working on the doc's
> I would start by browsing tohttp://www.gluster.org/  and read about the underlying technology (glusterFS, admin guide is good place to start).
Read though there doc's but wasn't sure how much needed to be done using
native glusterfs tools and how much is done using ovirt engine because
of the fact it was recently integrated means there are still likely
holes in the process.
> as for tips and hints, I will describe what you need in general (very high-level):
>
> - cluster and data-center - edit cluster and set the gluster check box
> - host side (vds):
>    * install vdsm-gluster package
>    * install all gluster-related packages
>    * make sure all gluster related services are fully operational
Didn't see vdsm-gluster when I built the nodes but when I looked for the
package it was there.  Already had all the glusterfs services running.
> - create new volume (volume is a collection of bricks which represent a collection of export domains):
>    * allocate storage space on your host
>    * make sure this space is exposed via export (NFS) directory
>    * create new volume\bricks
This is where I am confused.  glusterfs supports 3 methods of exposing
the cluster.  Is ovirt using the NFS or the native(fs) method?  If it is
NFS why the interface for bricks?  Wouldn't you just create a giant nfs
share?  This is the area I am most confused with and looking for hints on.

Thanks
Robert