[Users] ovirt node 2.3.0 totally broken ?!

Vincent Miszczak vmiszczak at ankama.com
Tue Jun 12 16:12:57 UTC 2012

Hello,

I'm new to oVirt world and I was very excited before testing it. Several minutes after trying to test, I feel less excited because of many early issues. I hope you'll be able to help me. Here is my story.

I've installed ovirt-engine on Fedora 16 VM(ESXi 4.1) and I have installed an ovirt-node 2.3.0-1.0.fc16 from iso on a Dell Poweredge 2950 server.

The ovirt-engine is running just fine.
Problems come with the ovirt-node.

First, during installation, language selection is broken : it does not work. I have selected French keyboard, and layout remained QWERTY (French layout is AZERTY)

Then, after installation, you login (with the broken layout it's boring to enter 'admin') but as a VMWare user, you like the feeling that looks like VMWare. Good point.
Ok, now you can change the keyboard layout again..., let's do this. You do it a first time : still not working (when you enter a hostname for example). Let's do it a second time : "Fuck!!!". Python has just output tons of nasty messages about recursion depth issues and you cannot see the menu anymore...So you reboot the host, take a coffee while it is testing its RAM, and avoid going into the keyboard layout menu again because you fear for your loss time.
You enable SSH, you register with ovirt-engine, fine, you should be able to work now.

Let's see what you can do with SSH  from your workstation :
"Fuck!!" (again), you now have to mirror the broken keyboard layout to type it correctly. So nasty...
Ok, you have the ncurse menu. And then, after several seconds, you loose SSH connection. WTF ?! You cannot connect again. You have to go to the server lab because you don't have  IP KVM for remote display.
Keep cool, maybe you'll be able to see what's going on from the ovirt-engine GUI. Nice, this guy has seen the node, so you approve it. Host is up. No, wait for it... down after 30s. Engine cannot connect to node anymore.
You still don't have remote display on your node. You loose.

I will move to the node display tomorrow to see what's happening to it. I suppose I will need to give you tons of dump later.

I know this is free software, but free software does not mean broken software.
I'm a bit afraid with my first experience with this one.

Do you know those issues ?! I have looked at bug tracker, there is no post about all those problems.
Will I get more chance by installing VDSM on raw Fedora or whatever than with ovirt-node ?

Guys, thanks for your time.

Vince

believed to be clean.