[Users] Backup functionality via Acronis

David Wilson dave at dcdata.co.za
Wed Jun 13 04:57:46 UTC 2012

Hi guys,

First off well done to the oVirt contributors - it is an excellent product!

Has anyone tested Acronis Backup and Recovery with oVirt?
I am looking for a reliable way to backup guest oVirt disk images,
config and state. So far I've tried the popular script by Daniel
Berteaud 'virt-backup.pl'  which works very well for our standard KVM
systems but I found that I had to disable libvirtd's SASL authentication
which caused oVirt to lose connectivity to the node and oVirt to fence
the node.
I thought I'd try a manual 'virsh save' but that causes oVirt to believe
that the guest has gone down which causes the guest to be automatically
migrated (I am running 2 nodes).

What experience have you had with backing up guests? I am not sure if
Acronis is the best way forward?

--

Get important Linux and industry-related news at: facebook.com/dcdata
<http://facebook.com/dcdata>

Kind regards,

David Wilson
CNS,CLS, LINUX+, CLA, DCTS, LPIC3