[Users] Managing ovirt-node with Puppet - Bad idea?

Trey Dockendorf treydock at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 22:22:14 UTC 2012

Currently I've been running all my KVM systems as standard libvirt
managed hypervisors with virt-manager for creating VMs.  All the setup
of these systems was done via Puppet, including bridges and pool
definitions.  Now that I've setup my first ovirt-node I'm wondering if
Puppet is appropriate on the ovirt-node.

The first thing that concerned me was libvirtd was not set to start on
boot after installing in the ovirt web interface, is this because the
vdsmd daemon starts/stops libvirtd?  Also is is it safe to manage
things like vdsm.conf via Puppet or will ovirt-engine ever touch that
file outside of the bootstrap process?

Right now all my nodes will be bare CentOS 6.2 systems with a basic
KVM / libvirt hypervisor and then vdsm.  What I'm curious of is if
anyone has suggestions or insight into whether or not something like
Puppet should be managing ovirt-nodes.  Ideally I'd like to use a bare
hypervisor like RHEV-H or the oVirt-node ISO but all I have access to
is the later and I'm very weary of having anywhere Fedora in my data
center aside from my desktop.  So far Puppet has proven useful in the
process of setting up the ovirt-node prior to adding it to oVirt
interface, but I'm worried something I'm enforcing will be changed by
ovirt and then changed back by Puppet and break my setup.

Thanks
- Trey