[Users] Online snapshot

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Jun 28 13:20:24 UTC 2012

On 06/28/2012 07:07 AM, Dave Allan wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 06:34:25AM -0400, Itamar Heim wrote:
>> On 06/28/2012 04:40 AM, Winfried de Heiden wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> It seems live snapshot is available in the Fedora 17 qemu-kvm. On my
>>> laptop with kvm, virt-manager, libvirt, virsh etc. I created a virtual
>>> machine and tried  to make a live snapshot:
>>>

>>> virsh # snapshot-create RHEL55_NTP
>>> Domain snapshot 1340871802 created

That's a system-checkpoint snapshot, because you didn't use --disk-only.
 When you say 'live snapshot' were you intending the fast operation of
just a disk snapshot (via the 'transaction' or 'blockdev-snapshot-sync'
monitor command) or the slow operation of a checkpoint (via the 'savevm'
monitor command)?

>>> [root at kvm ~]# rpm -qf `which qemu-kvm`
>>> qemu-system-x86-1.0-17.fc17.x86_64
>>>
>>> [wdh at laptop-winfried ~]$ rpm -qf `which qemu-kvm`
>>> qemu-system-x86-1.0-17.fc17.x86_64

This qemu does not support the 'transaction' monitor command, so libvirt
has to fall back to the non-atomic 'blockdev-snapshot-sync', or else
give up because of missing functionality.

>> dave - who can help us elaborate on this libvirt error:
>> reuse is not supported with
>> this QEMU binary

OK, so this is a case of VDSM driving a different use of the API than
what you did with your virsh command line.  VDSM is attempting to do the
equivalent of 'virsh snapshot-create --disk-only --reuse-ext', but
because your qemu doesn't support the 'transaction' command, libvirt
can't make qemu do what VDSM wants.  Basically, the
'blockdev-snapshot-sync' command in qemu 1.0 lacks the ability to reuse
qcow2 metadata already present in the file pre-created by VDSM; this
wasn't added until the 'transaction' command of qemu 1.1.