[Users] What are you looking for from oVirt?

Nathan Stratton nathan at robotics.net
Fri Jun 29 15:15:58 UTC 2012

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012, Romain Vrignaud wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I don't run currently any oVirt deployement in production but I have a lab.
> I used to run in production the old oVirt product (in rails).
>
> My best wishes for the future release of oVirt are :
> * GluserFS support as many of us

I must admit the first part of managing GlusterFS with 3.3 works very
well out of the box on oVirt 3.1.

Turn on GlusterFS in the cluster
Add your nodes
Manually add the peers in Gluster
Edit /etc/nfsmount.conf and set Defaultproto=tcp and Defaultvers=3
Create your gluster volume
Start the volume
Mount it in on one of your nodes in say /mnt
chown 36.36 /mnt

The only problem now is that you have to now use the volume as a NFS
server.

> * Nova (OpenStack Hypervisor) driver support (
> http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/admin/content/selecting-a-hypervisor.html
> ).
> I choose oVirt because my first goal is to manage a virtualized datacenter
> with OSS. But we begin to look at private cloud deployement.
> I think Aeolus would work with oVirt virtualization backend but AFAIK it
> only support redhat based linux which is not possible for us as we run
> almost only debian server except for virtualisation layer. So we would like
> to deploy OpenStack but to rely on oVirt for KVM hypervisors.

Been looking at openstack, but it still looks like a cobbled together mess
trying to serve all people right now to me.

> * Fully supported stateless ovirt-node

I have a lab cluster running pxeboot read-only nfsroot with a lot of luck.

><>
Nathan Stratton
nathan at robotics.net
http://www.robotics.net