[Users] Problem with creating a glusterfs volume

Robert Middleswarth robert at middleswarth.net
Wed Sep 5 18:25:41 UTC 2012

On 09/05/2012 02:20 PM, Dominic Kaiser wrote:
> So I have a problem creating glusterfs volumes.  Here is the install:
>
>  1. Ovirt 3.1
>  2. 4 Nodes are Fedora 17 with kernel 3.3.4 - 5.fc17.x86_64
>  3. 4 nodes peer joined and running
>  4. 4 nodes added as hosts to ovirt

Did you confirm the peers were working after adding them in as adding a
host updates the firewall.

>  1. created a directory on each node this path /data
>  2. chmod 36.36 -R /data all nodes
>  3. went back to ovirt and created a distributed/replicated volume and
>     added the 4 nodes with brick path of /data

Want to confirm you are using gluster 3.3 not 3.2.
> I received this error:
>
> Creation of Gluster Volume maingfs1 failed.
>
> I went and looked at the vdsm logs on the nodes and the ovirt server
> which did not say much.  Where else should I look?  Also this error is
> vague what does it mean?

You can review the steps I did to get a working gluster setup at
http://www.middleswarth.net/content/installing-ovirt-31-and-glusterfs-using-either-nfs-or-posix-native-file-system

> --
> Dominic Kaiser
> Greater Boston Vineyard