[Users] ovirt-engine service restart with running virtual machines?

Adam Tkáč vonsch at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 11:18:03 UTC 2012

Hello all,

I deployed oVirt as management platform for virtual machines in one
datacenter and now I'm trying to get it working with M$
ActiveDirectory. The oVirt engine runs on the same physical machine as
host and there are running virtual machines.

I successfully run "engine-manage-domains -action=add ...": and it wrote this:

Successfully added domain XXXX. oVirt Engine restart is required in
order for the changes to take place (service ovirt-engine restart).
Manage Domains completed successfully

Since there are running virtual machines on the host with the engine,
I would like to know if it is possible to restart ovirt-engine without
shutting down virtual machines and/or putting the host into
maintenance mode.

Next question is if it is possible to restart ovirt-engine without
affecting other running hosts with VMs in the same datacenter which
engine maintains.

Thank you in advance for the reply.

Regards, Adam