[Users] oVirt-engine Migration Docs

Neil nwilson123 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 12:58:50 UTC 2012

Hi guys,

I've read the following regarding upgrading from 3.0 to 3.1...

 "Due to the nature of this upgrade, we DO NOT recommend it, users are
advised to do a 3.1 clean installation, and to import all VM's and
template into the new installation."

I'm running a live ovirt-engine(very early 3.1 release with no upgrade
path) system with 3 VM's and I'd like to do the recommended -- "clean
installation and import all VM's and template", but I'd like to know
if there are any detailed guides on how to do this?

I also have an unused server that I can use as a spare host that I can
add into my clean engine install to get the VDSM onto the latest
version as well, but how do you go about exporting and importing the
VM's and the template?

I am working on a live system and downtime needs to be limited, not
sure if this is the correct procedure?

Prepare old engine:
1.) Create a export storage domain
2.) Suspend each VM and export (presume suspending is enough and they
don't need to be shutdown?)
3.) Detach export storage domain

Prepare new engine machine:
1.) Install new ovirt-engine
2.) "Restore previous keystore and preserve .sh scripts" presume this
is how the configs and DB are restored?
3.) Log into ovirt as admin and add only the spare host (to ensure
that VDSM 4.10 is used, because I'm currently using VDSM 4.9)
4.) Attach export storage domain
5.) Import VM's all running on new "spare" host

Upgrade old VDSM hosts:
1.) Remove VDSM 4.9 on old hosts(2 of them)?
2.) Add/install the new hosts from inside webadmin to get the old
hosts up to VDSM 4.10?

I'll gladly document the steps in detail if there is no detailed guide
already for this.

Thanks, any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Neil Wilson.