[Users] ovirt vs openstack

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Fri Sep 7 16:53:42 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 09/07/2012 05:59 PM, Neo Vlanik wrote:
> Forgive me if this is a dump question.
> What is the difference between ovirt and openstack projects? Are both of
> these projects perform the same job creating a cloud?

OpenStack is targeting an Elastic Cloud type network - people can buy
server time, create instances themselves, install more or less what they
want, and things like provisioning of time & server resources are
important. oVirt is more for centrally-maintained networks of virtual
machines, things like enterprise IT, university labs, test rigs where
you have a nice big server or two and want to (say) test your web app on
different distributions, with different browsers, that sort of thing.

So there are different priorities, different technology choices,
different target audiences. That said, it is possible to run through the
OpenStack projects, and (aside from "Compute", their provisioning later)
it's possible to draw parallels between pieces of the OpenStack
architecture and pieces of the oVirt architecture. oVirt could,
potentially, use OpenStack's image storage or identity service, and
OpenStack could conceivably use pieces of oVirt to do the job for them.

Of course, there are people around here who know this stuff much better
than me, so it's entirely possible I've just made an ass of myself and
the above is all wrong.

Cheers,
Dave.

--