[Users] Node startup issue

Vincent Miszczak vmiszczak at ankama.com
Mon Sep 10 12:28:10 UTC 2012

Hi guys,

I cannot get my node vdsmd start when host boots up, and I really cannot get why. (Fedora 17, ovirt-stable repo)
I can launch the service by hand and it's working as expected when I do so, but I really need the service to be launched at boot.

After a fresh startup, here is what I get :

[root at ovirt-node-01 ~]# systemctl status vdsmd.service
vdsmd.service - Virtual Desktop Server Manager
          Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/vdsmd.service; enabled)
          Active: inactive (dead)
          CGroup: name=systemd:/system/vdsmd.service

[root at ovirt-node-01 ~]# systemctl status libvirtd.service
libvirtd.service - Virtualization daemon
          Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/libvirtd.service; enabled)
          Active: active (running) since Mon, 10 Sep 2012 12:39:41 +0200; 1h 35min ago
        Main PID: 1053 (libvirtd)
          CGroup: name=systemd:/system/libvirtd.service
                  └ 1053 /usr/sbin/libvirtd --listen

Sep 10 12:39:43 ovirt-node-01.ankama.lan libvirtd[1053]: Could not find keytab file: /etc/libvirt/krb5.tab: No such file or directory
Sep 10 12:39:43 ovirt-node-01.ankama.lan libvirtd[1053]: server add_plugin entry_point error generic failure
Sep 10 12:39:43 ovirt-node-01.ankama.lan libvirtd[1053]: _sasl_plugin_load failed on sasl_server_plug_init for plugin: gssapiv2

/var/log/vdsm/vdsm.log has no log on startup

[root at ovirt-node-01 ~]# ls -al /var/log/vdsm/vdsm.log
-rw-r--r--. 1 vdsm kvm 9763810 Sep 10 12:20 /var/log/vdsm/vdsm.log

[root at ovirt-node-01 ~]# ls -al /var/log/vdsm-reg/vdsm-reg.log
ls: cannot access /var/log/vdsm-reg/vdsm-reg.log: No such file or directory

Trying to look at systemd logs, I get results I really don't understand :
[  OK  ] Started Permit User Sessions.
[  OK  ] Started Security Auditing Service.
[  OK  ] Started Kernel Samepage Merging.
[  OK  ] Started ACPI Event Daemon.
[  OK  ] Started Install ABRT coredump hook.
[  OK  ] Started Harvest vmcores for ABRT.
[  OK  ] Started irqbalance daemon.
[  OK  ] Started Machine Check Exception Logging Daemon.
[  OK  ] Started D-Bus System Message Bus.
[  OK  ] Started NTP client/server.
[  OK  ] Reached target Network Time Protocol.
         Starting Kernel Samepage Merging (KSM) Tuning Daemon...
         Starting Command Scheduler...
[  OK  ] Started Command Scheduler.
         Starting Job spooling tools...
[  OK  ] Started Job spooling tools.
         Starting Wait for Plymouth Boot Screen to Quit...
         Starting LSB: Bring up/down networking...
[  OK  ] Started Kernel Samepage Merging (KSM) Tuning Daemon.
[  OK  ] Started Device-Mapper Multipath Device Controller.
         Starting LSB: Starts and stops login iSCSI daemon....
[  OK  ] Started Login Service.
[  OK  ] Started Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Stack.
[  OK  ] Started LSB: Starts and stops login iSCSI daemon..
[  OK  ] Started LSB: Bring up/down networking.
[  OK  ] Reached target Network.
         Starting LSB: Starts and stops login and scanning of iSCSI devices....
         Starting Virtualization daemon...
[  OK  ] Started Virtualization daemon.
         Starting GlusterFS an clustered file-system server...
         Starting Link Layer Discovery Protocol Agent Daemon....
[  OK  ] Started Link Layer Discovery Protocol Agent Daemon..
         Starting Open-FCoE Inititator....
         Starting NFS Server...
         Starting OpenSSH server daemon...
         Starting Sendmail Mail Transport Agent...
         Starting RPC bind service...
[  OK  ] Started LSB: Starts and stops login and scanning of iSCSI devices..
[  OK  ] Started GlusterFS an clustered file-system server.
[  OK  ] Started OpenSSH server daemon.
[  OK  ] Started RPC bind service.
[  OK  ] Started Open-FCoE Inititator..
         Starting NFS file locking service....
         Starting GlusterFS an clustered file-system server...
         Starting SYSV: Late init script for live image....
[  OK  ] Started GlusterFS an clustered file-system server.
[  OK  ] Started SYSV: Late init script for live image..
         Starting Display Manager...
[  OK  ] Started Display Manager.
[  OK  ] Started NFS Server.
         Starting NFS Mount Daemon...
         Starting NFS Remote Quota Server...
         Starting NFSv4 ID-name mapping daemon...
[  OK  ] Started NFS file locking service..
[  OK  ] Started NFS Remote Quota Server.
[  OK  ] Started NFS Mount Daemon.

Everything is OK but where is my vdsmd startup ?
Looking at journalctl, vdsmd is not logged at all but libvirtd is.

vdsmd depends on ntpd, but it is not logged neither (and is marked dead also, and like vdsmd, I can launch it by hand and it works in that case).
Why those services are not logged ? How am I supposed to debug without any information ? Is it normal that an enabled service don't log at all ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

believed to be clean.