[Users] Can oVirt be installed in a virtual machine?

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Wed Sep 12 20:43:35 UTC 2012

On 09/12/2012 08:26 PM, Nicolas Chenier wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am starting a small hosting business and want to use oVirt w/ KVM as
> my virtualization platform.
>
> I currently have 2 host servers and an iSCSI NAS.
>
> Do I need a dedicated machine to run oVirt? Can I run it from a VM?

either will work, but not easy right now to host the engine on its own
hypervisor.

> Can I use the all-in-one solution in a Production environment, with a
> 2nd host? ... would I need to install oVirt on both hosts, in the event
> that one of my servers went down?

the all-in-one is mostly intended for POC level, using local storage of
the host.
if you plan to use both hosts with local storage, you should be able to
use it, depending on strength of your hosts.

> I am trying to see how I can survive if my oVirt server fails. It would
> be great if it ran from a VM but I can also see issues with doing that...
>
> Another option would be to run oVirt on my workstation and have it
> connect to my 2 host servers in colocation over the internet?

should work over WAN, but if you are hosting, wouldn't users need to
access the engine / your workstation?