[Users] Can oVirt be installed in a virtual machine?

Shu Ming shuming at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Sep 13 01:27:19 UTC 2012

? 2012-9-13 1:26, Nicolas Chenier:
> Hi all,
>
> I am starting a small hosting business and want to use oVirt w/ KVM as
> my virtualization platform.
>
> I currently have 2 host servers and an iSCSI NAS.
>
> Do I need a dedicated machine to run oVirt? Can I run it from a VM?

Of course you can install ovirt-engine on a VM.

> Can I use the all-in-one solution in a Production environment, with a
> 2nd host? ... would I need to install oVirt on both hosts, in the
> event that one of my servers went down?

I do not recommend to use all-in-on solution in a Production
environment.  You need to install ovirt-engine on  one host(might be
your desktop) and install VDSM on the two host servers. ovirt-engine
doesn't support HA yet, so you need only one ovirt-engine.

> I am trying to see how I can survive if my oVirt server fails. It
> would be great if it ran from a VM but I can also see issues with
> doing that...
>
> Another option would be to run oVirt on my workstation and have it
> connect to my 2 host servers in colocation over the internet?
For ovirt-engine installation, 4G plus memory is recommended.   So you
can start a VM with  more than 4G memory and install ovirt-engine on
that, also make sure ovirt-engine can connect the two host servers over
the internet.

> Please let me know how you've accomplished an oVirt setup with 2 servers.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Nic

---
?? Shu Ming
Open Virtualization Engineerning; CSTL, IBM Corp.
Tel: 86-10-82451626  Tieline: 9051626 E-mail: shuming at cn.ibm.com or shuming at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Address: 3/F Ring Building, ZhongGuanCun Software Park, Haidian District, Beijing 100193, PRC