[Users] SPM not selected after host failed

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Thu Sep 20 14:13:25 UTC 2012

On 09/20/2012 05:09 PM, Patrick Hurrelmann wrote:
> On 20.09.2012 16:01, Itamar Heim wrote:
>>> Power management is configured for both nodes. But this might be the
>>> problem: we use the integrated IPMI over LAN power management - and
>>> if I pull the plug on the machine the power management becomes un-
>>> available, too.
>>>
>>> Could this be the problem?
>>
>> yes... no auto recovery if can't verify node was fenced.
>> for your tests, maybe power off the machine for your tests as opposed to
>> "no power"?
>
> Ugh, this is ugly. I'm evaluating oVirt currently myself and have
> already suffered from a dead PSU that took down IPMI as well. I really
> don't want to imagine what happens if the host with SPM goes down due to
> a power failure :/ Is there really no other way? I guess multiple fence
> devices are not possible right now. E.g. first try to fence via IPMI and
> if that fails pull the plug via APC MasterSwitch. Any thoughts?

SPM would be down until you manually confirm shutdown in this case.
SPM doesn't affect running VMs on NFS/posix/local domains, and only
thinly provisioned VMs on block storage (iscsi/FC).

question, if no power, would the APC still work?
why not just use it to fence instead of IPMI?

(and helping us close the gap on support for multiple fence devices
would be great)