[Users] Installation problem

Joop jvdwege at xs4all.nl
Fri Sep 21 19:42:44 UTC 2012

Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Additional information:
>
> After removing and re-running engine-setup, I try once again to run
> ovirt-engine. I get the following error in the logs:
> ==> /var/log/ovirt-engine/console.log <==
> Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
> Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.
>
> Nothing else, unfortunately, and I have no idea how to debug JBoss AS
> to figure out what's going wrong.
>
> Are there any requirements in terms of the JRE which aren't specified
> in the quick start guide?

@Dave,
Don't know if you have the luxury of starting from scratch but to be
honest I have had problem with multple engin-setup/cleanup cycles and
had to start from scratch which was faster than figuring out what went
wrong. Those problems where with the pre-3.1 release. This is my
ovirt.repo which I guess will be same for you:

[ovirt-stable]
name=Stable builds of the oVirt project
baseurl=http://ovirt.org/releases/stable/rpm/Fedora/$releasever/
enabled=1
skip_if_unavailable=1
gpgcheck=0

[ovirt-beta]
name=Beta builds of the oVirt project
baseurl=http://ovirt.org/releases/beta/rpm/Fedora/$releasever/
enabled=1
skip_if_unavailable=1
gpgcheck=0

[ovirt-nightly]
name=Nightly builds of the oVirt project
baseurl=http://ovirt.org/releases/nightly/rpm/Fedora/$releasever/
enabled=0
skip_if_unavailable=1
gpgcheck=0

And the following is the first part of my history of my managment server

    1  chkconfig sshd on
    2  service sshd start
    3  ifconfig
    4  yum update --exclude=kernel*
    5  uname -a
    6  yum install -y firefox
    7  yum install -y wget
    8  yum install -y mc
    9  yum install -y spice-xpi
   10  init 6
   11  system-config-network
   12  cd /etc/sysconfig/networking/
   13  ls
   14  ls -l devices/
   15  cat devices/ifcfg-em1
   16  nano devices/ifcfg-em1
   17  nano devices/ifcfg-p2p1
   18  nano devices/ifcfg-p2p2
   19  ls
   20  ls devices/
   21  chkconfig NetworkManager off
   22  service NetworkManager stop
   23  chkconfig network on
   24  service network start
   25  ifconfig
   26  init 6
   27  exit
   28  ifconfig
   29  ifconfig
   30  yum localinstall
http://ovirt.org/releases/ovirt-release-fedora.noarch.rpm
   31  nano /etc/yum.repos.d/ovirt.repo
   32  yum install engine-setup -y
   33  ifconfig
   34  ifconfig
   35  pwd
   36  system-config-network
   37  ifconfig
   38  service network restart
   39  ifconfig
   40  init 6
   41  exit
   42  cat /proc/cpuinfo
   43  dmesg | grep CZ100
   44  yum install dmidecode
   45  cat /proc/meminfo
   46  dmidecode | less
   47  dmidecode | grep CZ
   48  ps
   49  ps -ef
   50  top
   51  cat /etc/exports
   52  nano /etc/exports

So all I did was follow the quick install and started of by getting some
things installed I like, stop NetworkManager en setup the network,
installed the ovirt.repo, entered my server in RT ;-) (dmidecode stuff)
and not shown because I probably did it in another console engine-setup.
Both my engine server and the two hosts I run for testing are HP
Proliant ML110 and one DL3xx host. I had one migration problem because
the uuid in the ML110's is the same and then you can't migrate, error
is: migrating to same host, or something close to it.
Base install is from Fedora 17 KDE live CD.

Joop