[Users] Can oVirt be installed in a virtual machine?

Keith Robertson kroberts at redhat.com
Sat Sep 22 20:09:04 UTC 2012

On 09/22/2012 02:28 PM, Nicolas Chenier wrote:
> Question - if oVirt goes down... do the ovirt-nodes and VMs remain up?
>

> Keith, how would you set yourself up with these specs:
>
> 2 host servers (quad-core xeons with 32gigs of ram)
Are you saying that you only have 2 machines in total, or that you have
2 machines that can be dedicated hypervisors (ie. ovirt-node) and a
third machine that can be a dedicated manager?

If the former then one machine must run some version of *nix compatible
with oVirt Manager and, the other machine in this scenario can simply
run ovirt-node.

If the latter, then you have 1 box dedicated as a manager and 2 boxes as
dedicated hypervisors.  This is a fairly basic/good setup.
> 1 iSCSI NAS
>
> Starting to think there is no way to achieve HA with this setup?
Not with only 2 boxes.  No.
> oVirt requires a dedicated machine?
Generally, speaking.  Yes.

Truly HA setups aren't cheap and people often have different ideas of
what constitutes HA.  Offhand I would think that you would need...

- 2 boxes for the oVirt manager
- Clustering software for the manager to facilitate an active/passive setup.
- UPSs (at *least* 2) which can be controlled by clustering software.
Why?  Most clustering SW require a fence device.  These will be your
fence devices.
- 2 boxes for your hypervisors (ie. ovirt-nodes).  This will facilitate
fail-over from one node to the other.

HA isn't cheap and can't usually be done on 2 boxes, IMO unless you're
failing over a single app.