[Users] Can oVirt be installed in a virtual machine?

Keith Robertson kroberts at redhat.com
Sun Sep 23 13:34:01 UTC 2012

On 09/22/2012 05:35 PM, Nicolas Chenier wrote:
> *Question 1 - if oVirt goes down... do the ovirt-nodes and VMs remain
> up?* Can someone answer this please? :-)
If the oVirt manager (ie. the web application running inside AS7) loses
connectivity to the node, the VM's on that node will keep running.  You
should know; however, that the general design is for the manager to
remain in contact with the nodes.

> Due to budget and space constraints, I currently have 2 servers total.
>
> What if I did the following:
>
> Server 1) Fedora 17 with KVM/Virt-manager... running oVirt as a VM
> (through virt-manager) off the iSCSI NAS.
Fine
> Server 2) oVirt-node machine - one and only host machine for oVirt
> running on Server 1).
Again fine.

> With this setup I can run VMs from iSCSI on oVirt-node Server 2).
Yes, nearly identical to my setup.

> In the event that oVirt-node Server 2) goes down... is anything
> stopping me from setting up my VMs on Server 1) with the iSCSI storage
> from the NAS and run my VMs without oVirt through virt-manager?
Yes, I don't think that will work out of the box.  It could probably be
done but it would require some manual steps.

> This would give me some form of redundancy (requiring manual
> intervention) in the event that my ovirt-node went down... is this a
> feasible setup?
See previous comment.

> To make it even more redundant, maybe I should do the following with
> Server 2)
>
> Install Fedora 17 with KVM/Virt-Manager, and VDSM... in the event that
> Server 1) fails... I can run my VMs on Server 2) through virt-manager?
>
> Should I just drop oVirt for now and run virt-manager on my 2 hosts,
> moving VMs manually (as they are running off iSCSI NAS) if a host
> fails? <tear>
It depends on what you are trying to do.  oVirt and virt-manager solve
different problems.  I would say that virt-manager is probably OK for a
small setup, but I wouldn't deploy an enterprise solution around it.

You have enough gear for a small oVirt setup.  Run with that and add
more nodes as you can.  My 2c.