[Users] Installation problem

Juan Hernandez jhernand at redhat.com
Mon Sep 24 15:28:16 UTC 2012

On 09/24/2012 04:34 PM, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 09/21/2012 08:10 PM, Dave Neary wrote:
>> After removing and re-running engine-setup, I try once again to run
>> ovirt-engine. I get the following error in the logs:
>> ==> /var/log/ovirt-engine/console.log <==
>> Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
>> Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.
>
> I traced this to two unrecognised options being passed to the Java
> process by /usr/share/ovirt-engine/scripts/engine-service.py:
> -XX:+UseCompressedOops and -XX:+TieredCompilation

Are you running in 32 bits environment? If you are in a 64 bits
environment it is probably better to use a 64 bits Java virtual machine.
The problem is that the -XX:+UseCompressedOops is only available in 32
bits Java virtual machines. There is a bug for that and it has already
been fixed:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/852037

> By removing these from the command line, I make progress. I now have an
> oVirt web application displaying in my browser!
>
> I also noticed this typo in the same file:
>
>      engineArgs.extend([
>          # Virtual machine options:
>          "-server",
>          "-XX:+UseCompressedOops",
>          "-XX:+TieredCompilation",
>          "-Xms%s" % engineHeapMin,
>          "-Xms%s" % engineHeapMax,
> // This should be "-Xmx%s" to set the max heap size
>          "-XX:PermSize=%s" % enginePermMin,
>          "-XX:MaxPermSize=%s" % enginePermMax,
>          "-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true",
>          "-Dsun.rmi.dgc.client.gcInterval=3600000",
>          "-Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=3600000",
>          "-Djava.awt.headless=true",
>      ])

That has been fixed as well:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/856564