[Users] Is there a way to force remove a host?

Shireesh Anjal sanjal at redhat.com
Tue Sep 25 07:44:29 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 25 September 2012 03:25 AM, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 09/24/2012 11:53 PM, Jason Brooks wrote:
>>>
>>> what happens to the status of the host when you right click on the
>>> host and specify you confirm it was shutdown?
>>
>> I'm having this same issue. Confirming the host is shut down doesn't
>> make a difference.
>>
>> I'm seeing lots of "Failed to GlusterHostRemoveVDS, error = Unexpected
>> exception" errors in my engine log that seem to correspond w/ the failed
>> remove host attempts.
>
> is cluster defined as gluster as well?
> what is the status of the host after you confirm shutdown?
> any error on log on this specific command?
>
> shireesh - not sure if relevant to this flow, but need to make sure
> removing a host from the engine isn't blocked on gluster needing to
> remove it from the gluster cluster if the host is not available any
> more, or last host in gluster cluster?

Yes, currently the system tries the 'gluster peer detach <hostname>'
command when trying to remove a server, which fails if the server is
unavailable. This can be enhanced to show the error to user and then
allow 'force remove' which can use the 'gluster peer detach <hostname>
*force*' command that forcefully removes the server from the cluster,
even if it is not available or has bricks on it.