[Users] I can't figure out how to add a user?

Tim Hildred thildred at redhat.com
Wed Sep 26 00:37:03 UTC 2012

Hey Alan;

I think the missing piece might be a directory server of some kind (Active Directory, IPA, RHDS, and I think TivoliDS are the ones that work). You have to link oVirt engine up with your directory server, and add users to the directory server first before you can search and add them in oVirt.

You link your oVirt engine to a directory server with the engine-manage-domains tool from the command line on your engine server.

The command you'll use is something like:

engine-manage-domains -action=add -domain=example.com -user=admin -provider=IPA -interactive

That adds a domain called example.com, using user admin with ldap server type IPA and prompts you for a password.

Hope that helps.

Tim Hildred, RHCE
Content Author II - Engineering Content Services, Red Hat, Inc.
Brisbane, Australia
Email: thildred at redhat.com
Internal: 8588287
Mobile: +61 4 666 25242