[Users] Is there a way to force remove a host?

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Fri Sep 28 07:30:37 UTC 2012

On 09/25/2012 01:45 PM, Shireesh Anjal wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 September 2012 04:04 PM, Itamar Heim wrote:

>>> A quick look at code tells me that in case of virt, we don't allow
>>> removing a host if it has  VM(s) in it (even if the host is currently
>>> not available) i.e. vdsDynamic.getvm_count() > 0. Please correct me if
>>> I'm wrong. If that's correct, and if we want to keep it consistent for
>>> gluster as well, then we should not allow removing a host if it has
>>> gluster volume(s) in it. This is how it behaves in case of 'last server
>>> in cluster' today.
>>
>> true, but user can fence the host or confirm shutdown manually, which
>> will release all resources on it, then it can be removed.
>
> I see. In that case, we can just remove the validation and allow
> removing the host irrespective of whether it contains volume(s) or not.
> Since it's the only host in the cluster, this won't cause any harm.
>

>>> In case of no up server available in the cluster, we can show the error
>>> and provide a 'force' option that will just remove it from the engine DB
>>> and will not attempt gluster peer detach.
>>
>> something like that.
>> i assume the gluster storage will handle this somehow?
>
> What would you expect gluster storage to do in such a case? If all
> servers are not accessible to a gluster client, the client can't
> read/write from/to volumes of the cluster. Cluster management operations
> in gluster (like removing a server from the cluster) are always done
> from one of the servers of the cluster. So if no servers are available,
> nothing can be done. Vijay can shed more light on this if required.
>
> Assuming that some of the servers come up at a later point in time, they
> would continue to consider this (removed from engine) server as one of
> the peers. This would create an inconsistency between actual gluster
> configuration and the engine DB. This, however can be handled once we
> have a feature to sync configuration with gluster (this is WIP). This
> feature will automatically identify such servers, and allow the user to
> either import them to engine, or remove (peer detach) from the gluster
> cluster.

why is that an issue though - worst case the server wouldn't appear in
the admin console[1] if it is alive, and if it is dead, it is something
the gluster cluster is supposed to deal with?

[1] though i assume the admin will continue to alert on its presence for
being out-of-sync on list of servers in cluster.