[Users] Logical networks in 3.1 on CentOS 6.3

Frank Soyer fsoyer at systea.net
Fri Sep 28 16:43:02 UTC 2012

Hi list,
I'm testing oVirt on 3 hosts as a possible replacement for Proxmox.
I've some trouble to understand the network part of the config (for
beginning, I'll have some other questions about glusterfs later :)) and
need some lights.

The environment :
- Engine host, no-virtualisation capability, one NIC eth0
- 2 nodes, virtualisation OK, 2 NICs eth0,eth1
- oVirt 3.1 on CentOS 6.3.

The installation of engine/nodes was OK, no problem at all on the 3 nodes.
The NIC eth0 on all hosts was manually bound on a bridge "ovirtmgmt",
respectively on 10.0.0.1, .2, .3

ovirmgmt appears on the console as the management network, no problem,
just a first question :
it is marked as "VM network", and no way to change that. What if I want
that this network to be dedicated on physical hosts only ?

Second, I tried to create a logical network, call it "vmnetwork", linked
it to datacenter and cluster. In the network interface configuration
window on the hosts, I can link vmnetwork on eth0, but when validating
an error occurs saying that eth0 is already linked to ovirmgmt. So I
can't have management network and vm network on the same NIC , even on a
virtual nic (tried with vlan=0 and vlan=10 on vmnetwork, same thing) ?

Third, is this a bug when I come back to the configuration window, that
the networks (for ovirmgmt and vmnetwork) return to "DHCP" ? If I forgot
to re-check the static network, the host lose all it's network config
and is declared non-responsive then rebooted..... Bad !

Thank you for helping me to understand.
Frank