[Users] Designate Master Storage Domain

Dead Horse deadhorseconsulting at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 23:18:24 EDT 2013

Is there any method of designating which domain should be the master
storage domain or forcibly changing the role to a different storage domain?

EG: Given the following example

Storage Domain A (Master) --> NFS --> Storage Server 1
Storage Domain B --> NFS --> Storage Server 2

One wants to do maintenance to Storage Server 1 but in doing so the Master
storage domain is hosted from Storage Server 1. Thus the net result of
taking down Storage Server 1 is that one must also take down Storage Server
2.

Thus we know we must shut down VM's from Storage Domain A to maintenance
Storage Server 1. Suppose however that VM's are running that we don't want
to shut down and are hosted from Storage Domain B via Storage Server 2.

We would want to be able to promote Storage Domain B to Master so that we
can take down Storage Domain A to do maintenance to Storage Server 1.

Once we are done with maintenance to Storage Server 1 we can bring Storage
Domain A back on line, re-designate it as Master if desired and bring it's
VM's back online.

I know I have seen this occur automatically to a point when a Storage
Domain goes missing that is the Master Domain but I have not noted any
manual method of doing so given the above scenario.

- DHC