[Users] Create VLAN for WAN traffic

Neil Schulz neil.schulz at neteasy.us
Tue Dec 31 13:43:40 UTC 2013

On 12/31/2013 3:02 AM, Sander Grendelman wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 7:57 PM, Neil Schulz <neil.schulz at neteasy.us
> <mailto:neil.schulz at neteasy.us>> wrote:
>
>     I'm not very knowledgeable in VLANs. Sorry for the lack of
>     knowledge in advance.
>
>     Is it possible to create a VLAN for WAN traffic, to separate it
>     from the internal network? I'd imagine so. It was a automated and
>     simple process when use XenServer. I'm trying to switch from Xen
>     to oVirt and when trying to recreate this, I'm unable to ping out
>     from the VM.
>
>     This leads me to believe the VLAN was created incorrectly. I
>     created ifcfg-br1 on the host and through the engine, created the
>     logical network with VLAN tagging 20. Does the interface,
>     ifcfg-br1, require a public IP, any IP address, no ip address?
>     (Sorry, never created a VLAN for WAN traffic as it was automated
>     in XenServer)
>

> Assigning an IP-address to a VM network in oVirt is _not_ mandatory,
> it is only needed for "management" networks (ovirtmgmnt, display, storage)
> where the _hosts_ need connectivity to resources on that network.
>
> Is this a tagged or an untagged vlan? (an untagged vlan means only one
> vlan
> per physical interface andneeds no extra configuration on the OS side)
> Which other (physical) interfaces are in your "br1" interface?
> Are the (tagged) vlans assigned to this interface?
>
> A vlan interface on linux looks like this: "eth0.20" where eth0 is the
> "physical" interface on which tagged vlans are configured and 20 is the
> number of one of those interfaces.
>
> In the case of an oVirt VM network the physical interface is bridged
> (and sometimes bonded)
> so the interface configuration looks like this: "br1.20".
>
> The "normal" route for configuring a new network in ovirt is to
> configure it in the "networks" tab
> (as a VM network) and then assigin this network to physical- or bonded
> interfaces on all the
> hosts in your cluster.

So the steps I have taken to create this.
1. Assign the 2nd physical interface a static IP.
2. In oVirt Engine, go to "Data Centers" and select "Logical Networks"
then "New". For name, something like "public_interface", check "Enable
VLAN tagging" and for the field entry, "20". Leave defaults, such as "VM
network" checked.
3. Go to "Hosts" then "Network Interfaces" then "Setup Host Networks".
Drag "public_interface" to the physical interface, "em2". Save
configuration.
4. This shows as "public_interface" (VLAN20) with the green box VM next
to it.
5. A fresh installed VM of CentOS6.5 is used with nic1 as
"public_interface".
6. After configuring the interface "eth0" with a public IP, I am unable
to ping any public IP or hostname.

Hopefully there's a flaw in the action I took to configure it and it's a
simple fix.

Thank you,
Neil