[Users] ovirt-shell: Disabling autopage

Michael Pasternak mpastern at redhat.com
Fri Feb 15 01:29:43 EST 2013

On 02/14/2013 09:44 PM, Adam Litke wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 09:27:11PM +0200, Michael Pasternak wrote:
>> Hi Adam,
>>
>> On 02/14/2013 07:04 PM, Adam Litke wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Currently the ovirt-shell displays command results using a pager.  It does this
>>> even when running non-interactively (ie. input via pipe) which is broken.
>>
>> Not sure what do you mean by 'broken', - i didn't hear any complaints on pipe yet,
>> can you elaborate?
>
> If I try a command in the shell such as:
>
> for i in `seq 1 10`; do
>   echo "show vm myvm-$i" | ovirt-shell -c
> done
>
> the pager is invoked for each iteration and I must press 'q' for each iteration
> of the loop to continue.

you can disable pagination via .ovirtshellrc

>> btw is it possible that your ovirt-shell is outdated?, take the latest from pypi.
>
> It's possible.  I am using the Fedora package
> (ovirt-engine-cli-3.2.0.5-1.fc17.noarch).

latest is 3.2.0.9-1, mburns will update ovirt repos soon.

>>> As a workaround, I discovered the option 'cli:autopage = False' should be placed in
>>> my .ovirtshellrc file.  This works great the first time, but then it seems
>>> ovirt-shell is overwriting this file and dumping my new setting.  What am I
>>> doing wrong here?
>>
>> cli:autopage is deprecated, therefore ovirt-shell overriding old configuration
>> file with new format, you can disable pagination by 'no_paging = True' in .ovirtshellrc
>
> Ok, thanks.  Is there any documentation on the allowed options in the
> .ovirtshellrc file?

no, cause all options are pretty straightforward [1] and always available in .ovirtshellrc with defaults,
also the meaning of every option (except no_paging & password) can be seen in the ovirt-shell --help.

[1]

[ovirt-shell]
username =
url =