[Users] best disk type for WIn XP guests

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 17:00:40 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 9:12 AM, Vadim Rozenfeld wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 23, 2013 06:17:16 PM Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I have a WIn XP guest configured with one ide disk.
>> I would like to pass to virtio. Is it supported/usable for Win XP as a
>> disk type on oVirt?
>> What else are using other ones in case, apart IDE?
>> My attempt is to add a second 1Gb disk configured as virtio and then
>> if successful change disk type for the first disk too.
>> But when powering up the guest it finds new hardware for the second
>> disk, I point it to the directory
>> WXP\X86 of the iso using virtio-win-1.1.16.vfd
>>
>> It finds the viostor.xxx files but at the end it fails installing the
>> driver (see
>> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwoPbcrMv8mvMUQ2SWxYZWhSV0E/edit
>> )
>>
>> Any help/suggestion is welcome.
> Error code 39 means that OS cannot load the device driver.
> On 32 bit platforms it usually happens with corrupted installation
> media or platform/architecture mismatch.
> Vadim.

Actually, despite on what I wrote, I was trying to use the files on CD
iso: virtio-win-0.1-49.iso
under the WXP\X86 directory. And it seems they are not good

Instead if I correctly use files on floppy image virtio-win-1.1.16.vfd
under i386/WinXP directory, it lets me coplete driver installation and
convert boot IDE disk into VirtIO
Thanks

Gianluca