[Users] virt-manager migration

Ryan Barry rbarry at redhat.com
Thu Apr 3 15:29:34 UTC 2014

The usual way is to go through virt-v2v. Essentially, you'd install the
engine somewhere and configure a storage domain (the properties of which
vary, but it's UUIDed and the UUID must match the engine) to bring the
datacenter up, then add an export domain (which is also UUIDed).

Once an export domain is created, virt-v2v can move your VMs over, but
with downtime.

As far as turning your existing hosts into nodes, adding them from the
engine is the easiest way (there's a wizard for this). It's possible to
install the ovirt-node RPMs directly, but they take over your system a
bit, and it's probably not what you're looking for. The engine can
manage regular EL6/fedora hosts.

But registering to the engine will reconfigure libvirt, so the general
path is:

Install engine.
Live-migrate VMs off one of your hosts.
Add that host as a node.
virt-v2v machines than can take downtime (can you get a maintenance window)?
Bring them up on the new node.
Repeat until your environment is converted.