[ovirt-users] Convert vmware vm

Simone Tiraboschi stirabos at redhat.com
Tue Aug 5 12:06:35 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

By the way, how are you going to copy the VM between the two system?
As far as I know scp doesn't handle really well with sparse files (and thin provisioned VMs are sparse files) ending up copying the fully expanded disk image wasting a lot of time just transferring zeroes.

Some third party utilities, like virtsync for the KVM world (http://www.virtsync.com/) or Veam FastSCP (http://www.veeam.com/vmware-esxi-fastscp.html) for the VMWare world, already implement some smarter copy approach (also a tar with -S option over an ssh pipe is indeed enough) to make it more efficient and they are quite appreciated.

Are we designing something similar?

thanks,
Simone