[Users] My first wiki page

Joop jvdwege at xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 5 02:47:50 EST 2014

On 5-2-2014 7:43, Sahina Bose wrote:

> On 02/03/2014 07:18 PM, Juan Pablo Lorier wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've created my first wiki page and I'd like someone to review it and
>> tell me if there's something that need to be changed (besides it does
>> not have any style yet)
>> The URL is
>> http://www.ovirt.org/oVirt_Wiki:How_to_change_Gluster%27s_network_interface
>> Regards,
>>

> Firstly, thanks for putting this information up!
>
> Some comments -
>
> 1.  when you use different IP addresses for engine -to -gluster host
> (say IP1) and gluster -to -gluster communication (say IP2), operations
> from ovirt engine like add brick or remove brick would fail (as brick
> is tried to be added with IP1 which gluster does not understand)
>
> To work around this, it is better to use a FQDN both for registering
> the host with engine and also to peer probe the host from gluster CLI.
> You could have multiple IP addresses on the host resolve to the same
> FQDN.

That is how I use it in my test setup. 2 storage nodes which have an
entry in their hosts file with a different IP (172.1.1.1/2) then what
engine has or gets from DNS (split dns).
So engine knows storage1 by ip 192.168.1.1 and on the storage network
storage1 is known by 172.1.1.1. You'll need to replicate the hosts file
to all storage/virt hosts that you have and all need 2 interfaces, one
for storage and one for ovirtmgmt. You can  use engine to create gluster
volumes because engine will use the hostname and send the command to the
storage where the hostname resolves to the storage network.

There is a post/blog on gluster.org (Joe Julian??) that uses iptables to
achieve the same trick but I like the dns one better.

Joop