[Users] oVirt or RHEV ?

René Koch rkoch at linuxland.at
Fri Feb 7 22:58:48 UTC 2014

Hi Nathanaël,

Imho you need a lot of manpower to make this happen.

You have to remove all Red Hat trademarks if you want to distribute it -
this means remove it from RHEV-manager (engine), RHEV-H (node-image) and
all Windows tools (e.g. USB policy editor, RHEV tools,...) so you not
only need CentOS 6 build servers, but also Windows ones.

Next you should have to support each release for 3 years which means in
2 years you maybe have to build packages for 3-6 RHEV releases - again
takes a lot of time. Even if you can automate fetching, building and
testing you still have to test it manually, too.

I'm unsure if someone would do this work. Just speaking for me and the
company I work for - RHEV and oVirt is working fine for us, so I
wouldn't see much benefit of repackaging RHEV. Contributing to oVirt
project with Nagios plugins, presentations, meetups,... makes more sense
for us. Again just speaking about us, but I think other companies think
in a same way...

Regards,
René