[Users] Migrate simple configuration to self-hosted

Bob Doolittle bob at doolittle.us.com
Thu Mar 13 18:25:51 UTC 2014

Hi,

I want to migrate my existing deployment to self-hosted. I have a simple
deployment:

A: Machine Fedora 20
B: libvirt VM (hosted on A) RHEL 6.5 running Engine 3.3.4-1
C: Machine RHEL 6.5 acts as Hypervisor/Host/Node (VDSM 4.13.3-4)

ISO NFS Domain is on B
Data (Master) NFS Domain is on C

I want to migrate VM B to Machine C, as self-hosted, and free up Machine A

When I look at these instructions:
http://www.ovirt.org/Migrate_to_Hosted_Engine

It starts with "I installed a new host with fedora 19".

I don't understand this. Won't most people doing this migration want to
start with their existing Hypervisor/Host/Node, and migrate their Engine
to it? Do I really need a new 3rd machine, when my goal is to free up
one of my 2 existing machines?

Or can I go ahead and assume these instructions are fine to apply to an
existing Host already running VDSM 4.13.3-4?

I would have (naively?) imagined that the typical migration would be
something like:

0. Upgrade Engine and Host to 3.4
1. Create a new VM
2. Install OS on new VM, start it up
3. Backup current Engine
4. Stop current Engine (leave Host and VM running), change hostname
(local and DNS), maybe power off for good luck until done
5. Login to new VM (probably using ssh unless there's a way to connect
directly to the VM via Spice/VNC while the Engine is down) to:
     A. Assign previous Engine hostname to it (local and DNS), possibly
reboot
     B. Set it up as a self-hosted Engine
     C. Restore backup to it
     D. Start up new engine