[ovirt-users] intel gvt-s/gvt-g support for VDI

Jorick Astrego j.astrego at netbulae.eu
Thu May 8 13:53:04 UTC 2014

Hi,

Currently we've only been using oVirt for server virtualization. Using
it as a platform for Virtual Desktop Infrastructure is very tempting for
us, so I've been reading up about it.

Are there any plans to support Intel GVT-s or GVT-g in the future? Xen
already has it already supported and KVM is supposed to be working on
it, but there will have to be some modifications in oVirt too I guess.

https://01.org/blogs/skjain/2014/intel%C2%
AE-graphics-virtualization-update

Qemu supports GVT-d/VTd already but I don't know if I can use it in
oVirt... it doesn't really scale however

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTY4MTc

        Intel GVT-d for direct GPU access whereby the guest virtual
        machine has full access to the graphics processor. The guest
        operating system's drivers are used and there's no limitations
        or interference by the hypervisor. Intel GVT-d works with QEMU
        through its VTd support.

        Intel GVT-s as graphics virtualization at the API level to have
        one graphics processor exposed to potentially multiple virtual
        machines. Intel GVT-s is done using an API forwarding technique
        that interfaces with the graphics hardware. It appears though
        Intel hasn't done much in this realm for open-source Linux but
        they mention "many commercial desktop and workstation remoting
        products in the market use this approach." VirtualBox and VMware
        are some notable examples. Within the open-source space,
        Virgil3D is aiming for similar functionality.

        Intel GVT-g as one GPU shared to many virtual machines by
        exposing a virtual GPU. Each virtual desktop is running Intel's
        native graphics driver and is part of their XenGT approach. "On
        a time sliced basis, an agent in the hypervisor directly assigns
        the full GPU resource to each virtual machine. Thus, during its
        time slice, while the virtual machine gets a full dedicated GPU,
        from overall system view point several virtual machines share a
        single GPU. Intel has been developing GVT-g under the code name
        'XenGT' for Xen. Up-streaming of GVT-g to KVM is also in works.
        More recently, Intel has been disclosing this solution to select
        partners, and making the source available for variety of
        processor graphics configurations."

        Sunil ended his Intel Open-Source Technology Center blog post
        with, "Major ISVs and OEMs are aligning with Intel to productize
        Intel GVT based solutions. Open source developers are finding
        Intel GVT portfolio with Intel processor-graphics products
        equally enticing. It will be interesting to see some cool
        innovations emerge from graphics virtualization." Those
        interested can find more information at 01.org.

Kind regards,

Jorick Astrego