[ovirt-users] Spice client with engine portal

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 14:02:24 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 3:50 PM, Maurice James <mjames at media-node.com>
wrote:

> How do I get the spice client to connect to a VM through the portal
> instead of attempting to connect directly to the VM? For example. I allow
> access to the engine portal over our WAN to a NATed IP address. The users
> on the other side of the WAN do not have access to the real VM IP
> addresses. When they click on the console access button, they are unable to
> connect to the VM. I believe this is because it using attempting a direct
> connection instead of proxying through the portal.

see:
http://www.ovirt.org/Features/Spice_Proxy

more tech details also from rhev docs:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.4/html/Administration_Guide/chap-Proxies.html#sect-SPICE_Proxy

I don't remember if it is ok and works to set up the squid part on engine
itself.... but I think it would be cleaner design to put it on another
dedicated infrastructure host, perhaps already existing in your infra for
similar reasons.

Gianluca