[ovirt-users] oVirt 3.6: Dummy interfaces

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Tue Dec 29 03:01:04 EST 2015

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 03:11:29PM -0800, Alan Murrell wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> Thanks for info!  Does your script automatically load the dummy module as
> well, or do you create a separate file in '/etc/modprobe.d' to load it
> (that's how I currently do my dummy NICs)
>
> Thanks! :-)
>
> Quoting "Frank Wall" <fw at moov.de>:
>
> >Hi Alan,
> >
> >On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 10:37:17AM -0800, Alan Murrell wrote:
> >>Are dummy interfaces still supported in 3.6?
> >
> >I'm running ovirt 3.6 AiO and dummy interfaces are working just fine.
> >Instead of modifying oVirt's python source files, I'd recommend you
> >rename the dummy interface(s) to match the required pattern.
> >
> >I've setup a service for this by creating
> >/etc/systemd/system/dummynics.service
> >with the following content:
> >
> >[Unit]
> >Description=Rename dummy network interfaces for oVirt
> >
> >[Service]
> >Type=oneshot
> >ExecStart=/usr/sbin/ip l set dev dummy0 name dummy_0
> >ExecStart=/usr/sbin/ip l set dev dummy1 name dummy_1
> >ExecStart=/usr/sbin/ip l set dev dummy2 name dummy_2
> >ExecStart=/usr/sbin/ip l set dev dummy3 name dummy_3
> >RemainAfterExit=yes
> >
> >[Install]
> >WantedBy=multi-user.target
> >

> >Then enable this service as follows:
> >
> >systemctl daemon-reload
> >systemctl enable dummynics
> >systemctl status dummynics
> >
> >Of course, you need to use the new dummy_* names when configuring the
> >network interfaces. I'd recommend to reboot the host after making these
> >changes.

Modifying fake_nics in vdsm.conf is still supported and should still
work (though it requires restarting both vdsmd and supervdsmd). If it
does not - please file a bug.

However, I would recommend to initially creat the dummy devices with
their proper name

    ip link add dummy_1 type dummy

instead of creating them with dummy1 and then renaming them.