[ovirt-users] guest pxe boot fails

Yuriy Demchenko demchenko.ya at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 16:00:42 UTC 2015

Hi,

somehow guest pxe booting stopped working for me. PXE boot fails on
getting ip via dhcp with error 'connection timed out' and i cannot find
any reason why...
In first few seconds of VM's life it actually manages to send some
network packets - I can see dhcp request on dhcp server, I even see a
dhcp reply on both host's network interface and vm's vnetX interface.
However, gpxe still says "connection timeout". During this "first time"
i also can see some network traffic via tcpdump on vnetX interface (some
arp's, multicasts, etc from other vms)
But after a while - all activity on vnetX interface ceases, no packets
at all, no dhcp requests from VM, no replies, no arp - nothing at all.
Also what caught my eye - 'brctl showmacs <bridgename>' doesn't show
VM's MAC at all, it lists it only after OS is booted. And same behaviour
with any nic driver - virtio/e1000/rtl
However, once VM is booted (if cloned, or imported via glance, or
installed from CD) - network works just fine, no problems with dhcp/arp
or anything else.

I tried to re-create VM, tried to add/remove/change vm nic's, tried to
change MAC, tried to restart vdsm and engine, tried to start vm on
different hosts - nothing helps.
The only recent change in my environment were update ovirt-3.4.3 ->
ovirt-3.4.4.
Please, tell me what went wrong?

ovirt 3.4.4-el6, hosts on centos 6.6, guests - centos 6.6

--
Yuriy Demchenko