[ovirt-users] Host/storage OS upgrade: VM migrate?

Alan Murrell lists at murrell.ca
Thu Mar 5 10:59:06 UTC 2015

Hello,

I currently run oVirt 3.5 on CentOS6.  It is on a single host with a
self-hosted engine.  Not an officially supported setup, but it is just a
home lab.

When the next release of oVirt comes out (3.6), I am thinking I may want
to upgrade to CentOS7 on both host and engine to take advantage of the
newer libraries and features of Centos7.

On the host, my storage is GlusterFS and is on the same physical HDD as
the OS, but on a different LVM partition.

If I were to do a fresh install on the OS partition, and run through the
initial steps to install oVirt and GlusterFS packages, when I get to
configuring GlusterFS, will it be able to pick up my existing bricks and
thus allow me to import that existing storage into oVirt?

Alternatively, is there a way to export my VMs to an external HDD, do a
completely fresh install, then import them VMs back in?  I suspect I
would probably need to resort to a cloning tool like "CloneZilla"?

Downtime of the VMs is not an issue, since this is just a lab and there
is nothing production-wise running on it.

Thanks for your advise!

Regards,

Alan