[ovirt-users] Guest PXE boot with 2 NICs : MAC order

Nicolas Ecarnot nicolas at ecarnot.net
Mon Mar 30 18:02:57 UTC 2015

Hello,

I can't remember if I already asked that here, but my researches
returned nothing obvious.

It is frequent in our setup to boot a VM setup with two NICS :
- one in a network with a DHCP server, leading to a PXE/tftp/kickstart setup
- a second one with a network with no DHCP, nor routed. We use this
network in some cases to access iSCSI data.

When PXE booting such a VM, I realized that in gPXE, the NICs are order
according to their MAC address (net0, net1...)
I found no mean to explicitly tell gPXE to use a specific interface, and
it is a pain, because my setup workflow implies I could choose the
correct interface.

In the oVirt web GUI, I found nothing about that.
In the ovirt-shell, I had no better luck.
In the gPXE wiki, I found nothing more that what's above.

This is not a big issue, but was worth asking.

--
Nicolas Ecarnot