[ovirt-users] oVirt 4.0 wishlist: oVirt Node

Giuseppe Ragusa giuseppe.ragusa at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 20 07:54:06 EST 2015

Hi all,
I'm trying to organize my wishes/hopes for oVirt 4.0

These items derive from both solitary mumblings and community talks at the the first Italian oVirt Meetup.

I offer to help in coding (work/family schedules permitting) but keep in mind that I'm a sysadmin with mainly C and bash-scripting skills (but hoping to improve my less-than-newbie Python too...)

Since I have related interests/wishes also for Engine and VDSM, I'll send a separate message for each one.

Let's start from the oVirt Node:

*) oVirt Node complete convergence with Atomic Host: start from Project Atomic tools and define an ISO-installable Atomic Host variant [1] to include gluster, qemu, libvirt, vdsm and all the packages/configurations that an oVirt Node would need (remove unneeded parts)

*) add Samba, CTDB and Ganesha to oVirt Node to allow it to be used as a full storage appliance (specifically, I'm thinking of the GlusterFS integration); there are related wishlist items on configuring/managing Samba/CTDB/Ganesha on the Engine and on VDSM

*) add oVirt Node ability to host containers (independent of the above mentioned convergence with Atomic); note that Atomic Host has Docker/Kubernetes, but libvirt already has a LXC driver [2] and the Engine could benefit from some added smartness in managing groups of guests etc. in the vm case too; there are related wishlist items on configuring/managing containers on the Engine and on VDSM

*) add Open vSwitch direct support (not Neutron-mediated); there are related wishlist items on configuring/managing Open vSwitch on the Engine and on VDSM

*) add DRBD9 as a supported Storage Domain type, maybe for HC and HE too; there are related wishlist items on configuring/managing DRBD9 on the Engine and on VDSM

*) add oVirt Node ability to fully perform as a stand-alone hypervisor: I hear that Cockpit is coming, so why not Kimchi too? ;)

Regards,
Giuseppe

[1] product.json, I suppose, but I'm starting to learn Atomic now...

[2] barring a pending deprecation in RHEL7, but I suppose that a community/Centos-Virt-SIG libvirt build could restore it and maybe RedHat too could support it on a special libvirt build for RHEV (just to remove those support costs from the base RHEL OS offering)