[ovirt-users] oVirt - High Availability

Indunil Jayasooriya indunil75 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 03:13:22 UTC 2015

Hi users,

I have setup OVIRT 3.5 with* 2 REDHAT 7.1 hosts.* Everything is ok other
than HA ( High Availability). To test HA, Documentation says, *Power
Management is needed. *

Could you pls let me know if this Power Management is a separate Device or
does it come with a BRANDED Server such as HP, IBM or Dell?

I have seen a* ILO* port in HP servers. Can I use it for HA ( High
Availability) in ovirt?

If *power management* is *present in  Branded Servers*, Could you  pls let
me know some *Branded  RHEL 7.1/CentOS 7.1 supported  servers?*

Then, I can use it for Production use.

*This is an YOU TUBE video for HA.*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHCnXGUMaS0

Is this a correct video for HA?

I did some research.

a few URLs.

http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2013-January/011519.html

http://www.ovirt.org/OVirt_Administration_Guide#Host_Resilience

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.5/html/Administration_Guide/sect-Improving_Uptime_with_Virtual_Machine_High_Availability.html

*what is **Soft-Fencing Hosts ?* ovirt doc gives below . (
http://www.ovirt.org/OVirt_Administration_Guide#Host_Resilience )

Soft-Fencing Hosts

Sometimes a host becomes non-responsive due to an unexpected problem, and
though VDSM is unable to respond to requests, the virtual machines that
depend upon VDSM remain alive and accessible. In these situations,
restarting VDSM returns VDSM to a responsive state and resolves this issue.

oVirt 3.3 introduces "soft-fencing over SSH". Prior to oVirt 3.3,
non-responsive hosts were fenced only by external fencing devices. In oVirt
3.3, the fencing process has been expanded to include "SSH Soft Fencing", a
process whereby oVirt attempts to restart VDSM via SSH on non-responsive
hosts. If oVirt fails to restart VDSM via SSH, the responsibility for
fencing falls to the external fencing agent if an external fencing agent
has been configured.

*BUT, It does NOT say how to set it up? *

*is there any step by step doc for it? *

HOPE TO hear from you?

--
cat /etc/motd

Thank you