[ovirt-users] Network & local disk on same host, live storage migration

Matthew Bohnsack bohnsack at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 07:47:59 EDT 2016

Hello.

I've been doing some experimentation with oVirt 3.6 and CentOS 7.2 hosts,
and I have a few high level questions, related to what I've seen in my
testing:

1/ It seems that for a given host, it's impossible to have both a local
storage domain and a shared storage domain such as NFS.  Is this correct?
If so, is adding this capability on the roadmap somewhere?  I would really
like to have the ability for a single host to simultaneously support both
local and network disks.

2/ Does oVirt support any sort of live storage migration functionality?

  2.A/ For example, say I have one host (host#1) with two separate NFS
storage domains (NFS#1 and NFS#2).  In this case,  can a VM on host#1
associated with NFS#1 be live migrated to NFS#2 storage?  Or can this sort
of storage movement only be accomplished by a shutdown of the VM and an
export/import/restart workflow?

  2.B/ Is the scenario described in 2.A possible across two different hosts
that share both NFS storage domains?  That is, can a VM guest on
host#1/NFS#1 be live migrated to host#2/NFS#2?

3/ Let's says that you setup a host (host#1) with a shared storage domain
(NFS#1) and a second host (host#2) with a local storage domain (local#2).
If you wanted to move a VM from host#1/NFS#1 to host#2/local#2, how would
you most easily accomplish this?  All I could come up with is: Add NFS
export domain to host#1, turn VM on host#1 off, export VM, add NFS import
domain to host#2, import VM, on host#2 onto local#2, turn VM on on host#2?

Thanks for your help,

-Matthew