[ovirt-users] several questions about serial console

Nathanaël Blanchet blanchet at abes.fr
Wed Apr 20 12:04:52 UTC 2016

Le 19/04/2016 09:50, Michal Skrivanek a écrit :
>> On 17 Apr 2016, at 11:53, Yedidyah Bar David <didi at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 7:18 PM, Nathanaël Blanchet <blanchet at abes.fr> wrote:
>>>
>>> Le 15/04/2016 17:27, Nathanaël Blanchet a écrit :
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> About serial console:
>>>
>>> how to get out of a selectionned vm where we are on the login prompt (why
>>> not backing up to the vm menu) rather than killing the ssh process or
>>> closing the terminal? Usual "^] " doesn't work there.
>>> according to
>>> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.6/html-single/Virtual_Machine_Management_Guide/index.html
>>>
>>> # ssh -t -p 2222 ovirt-vmconsole at MANAGER_IP --vm-name vm1
>>>
>>>         should allow to connect directly to a vm on its serial port, and it
>>> is very useful when there are a big number of vm. In reality, we get a SSH
>>> issue : "unknown option -- -"
>> Seems like a bug in the documentation. See also the README file:
>>
>> /usr/share/doc/ovirt-vmconsole/README on your machine, or
>>
>> https://gerrit.ovirt.org/gitweb?p=ovirt-vmconsole.git;a=blob;f=README
For those who are interested, the working way is

# ssh -t -p 2222 ovirt-vmconsole at MANAGER_IP connect --vm-name vm1

None of the official rhev doc or /usr/share/doc/ovirt-vmconsole/README
tells about it. Connect is the implicit default argument, but we have to
provide it so as to specify a vm name.