[ovirt-users] Max amount of datacenters per ovirt engine

Sven Kieske svenkieske at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 14:03:31 UTC 2016

On 26.04.2016 14:46, Martin Sivak wrote:
> I think that 1000 hosts per engine is a bit over what we recommend
> (and support). The fact that all of them are going to be remote might
> not be ideal either. The engine assumes the network connection to all
> hosts is almost flawless and the necessary routing and distance to
> your hosts might not play nice with (for example) the fencing logic.

Hi,

this seems a little surprising.

At least RHEV states in the documentation you support up to 200 hosts
per cluster alone.

There are no documented maxima for clusters or datacenters though.

@awels: to add another layer of indirection via a dedicated
hosted-engine per outlet seems a little much. we are talking about 500 *
4GB RAM at least in this example, so 2 TB RAM just for management
purposes, if you follow engine hardware recommendations?

But I agree, ovirt does not handle unstable or remote connections that
well, so you might be better of with hundredths of remote engines, but
it seems to be a nightmare to manage, even if you automate everything.

My personal experience is, that ovirt does scale at least until about
30-50 DCs managed by a single engine, but that setup was also on a LAN
(but I would say it could scale well beyond these numbers, at least on a
LAN).

HTH

Sven