[ovirt-users] [oVirt 4.0] Is it possible to access oVirt through a reverse proxy

Martin Perina mperina at redhat.com
Mon Jul 4 09:39:38 UTC 2016

Hi,

first let me explain more thoroughly how things works in 4.0. Here's a bit
simplified login flow:

1. Let's assume that ovirt.example.com was set as FQDN during engine-setup
2. User tries to access http://ovirt.example.com/ovirt-engine/webadmin
3. SSO authentication filters checks if user is authenticated and if not,
user is redirected to https://ovirt.example.com/ovirt-engine/sso/login.html
4. User enters its username/password and if successfully authenticated,
user is redirected back to original URL:
http://ovirt.example.com/ovirt-engine/webadmin

Here are installation use cases which we assumed to be mostly used for
oVirt (let's assume that engine is installed at host1.example.com, your
proxy host is proxy1.example.com and you want you oVirt instance to
accessed using alias ovirt.example.com):

1. Most users don't use any proxy, so the easiest method is to setup DNS
alias ovirt.example.com pointing to host1.example.com and after that use
ovirt.example.com during engine-setup as engine FQDN

2. If host1.example.com is in your internal network and you want
ovirt.example.com to be accessible from both internal network and Internet
you need to do the following:
      - For you internal clients you need to do the same steps as in 1. in
your internal DNS server
      - For your external (Internet) clients you need to create another DNS
alias ovirt.example.com pointing to your firewall (for example to host
firewall.example.com) in your external DNS server and setup proper port
forwarding from firewall.example.com to host1.example.com

3. If you need to use different FQDN for engine (for example you want to
use proxy proxy1.example.com), then some manual config is required:
      - Execute engine-setup and use host1.example.com as engine FQDN
      - Setup you proxy in proxy1.example.com as in previous versions
      - Setup your DNS and add DNS alias ovirt.example.com pointing to
proxy1.example.com
      - Go to host1.example.com and create new file
/etc/ovirt-engine/engine.conf.d/99-setup-http-proxy.conf with following
content
               ENGINE_SSO_AUTH_URL="
https://ovirt.example.com:443/ovirt-engine/sso"
               SSO_CALLBACK_PREFIX_CHECK=false

      - Restart ovirt-engine service

    After above steps your oVirt instance can be accessed using
http://ovirt.example.com, but all traffic to it will be redirected through
your proxy at proxy1.example.com.

If none of above scenarios are usable for you, then please describe
thoroughly your current setup. We may be help you with additional manual
configuration or we will need to create an RFE bug for oVirt.

Thanks

Martin Perina