[ovirt-users] How to upgrade node from 3.5 to 3.6

Douglas Schilling Landgraf dlandgra at redhat.com
Wed Jul 6 15:52:21 UTC 2016

Hi Ariel,

On 07/06/2016 11:28 AM, Ariel Pérez Rodríguez wrote:
> Hi all!
> I've spent more than 2 days googling how to upgrade an ovirt node.
> Please, I need some serious help on this. The only thing I've found is
> that u can go to Hosts tab in the engine GUI > select the blade an
> there is an option for Upgrade between Reinstall and Configure Local
> Storage. Well, that option is grayed-out. There is no documentation
> available for it... I've dried the google sea and even a node-level
> command give this error:
> [root at blade1c2 admin]# ovirt-node-upgrade --reboot=1
> --iso=http://resources.ovirt.org/pub/ovirt-3.6/iso/ovirt-node-ng-installer/ovirt-node-ng-installer-ovirt-3.6-2016052403.iso
> ovirt-node-upgrade.UpgradeTool: INFO     Temporary Directory is:
> /data/tmpgv4fHj
> ovirt-node-upgrade.LockFile: INFO   Acquiring Lock
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/sbin/ovirt-node-upgrade", line 382, in <module>
>     u.run()
>   File "/sbin/ovirt-node-upgrade", line 360, in run
>     self._options.iso_file)
> RuntimeError:
> http://resources.ovirt.org/pub/ovirt-3.6/iso/ovirt-node-ng-installer/ovirt-node-ng-installe
>
> Please, need somebody to help me. Why upgrading a node it's so
> dificult in ovirt?

First, I would recommend to put your host into maintenance mode so all
vms are migrated to others hosts.
There are many ways to upgrade ovirt-node vintage, you can boot the iso,
via ovirt-engine or using directly the ovirt-node-upgrade tool
which btw is called via ovirt-engine.

However, we do not support upgrade from ovirt-node vintage to
ovirt-node-*ng* (next).
You can download the ovirt node vintage 3.6 and use the below methods or
ovirt-node-upgrade tool as you shared.

To download oVirt Node 3.6:
   ISO or RPM:
http://jenkins.ovirt.org/job/ovirt-node_ovirt-3.6_create-iso-el7_merged/

From: https://www.ovirt.org/develop/projects/node/node/:

    Upgrading

There are 2 general methods for upgrading an ovirt-node installation.

*1*. Through oVirt Engine

Require the installation of ovirt-node-iso rpm on oVirt Engine. A node
is then placed in maintenance mode, and you trigger the upgrade from the
engine interface.

*2*. Through oVirt Node installation media (ISO, CD, USB, PXE)

This approach is done using installation media. Simply boot your host
running an old version of node from new media. Either PXE, CDROM, USB,
SD card, ISO, etc. are supported. Once you boot from the media, it will
bring you to a TUI screen where you choose upgrade. That will upgrade
and leave existing configuration in place.

I hope that helps.