[ovirt-users] Run oVirt Node in SD Card/USB Stick

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Wed Jul 6 18:02:21 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 5:00 PM, Fernando Frediani <
fernando.frediani at upx.com.br> wrote:

> Hi Yaniv,
>
> I have already done a fair amount of tunning to run a minimal OS from a
> USB stick and it seems to work reasonable well overtime, but nothing rock
> solid and of course I wouldn't try it myself in a production oVirt Node if
> that's not official.

For production I'd use boot from SAN, either via FC or iSCSI (HW adapter
needed of course).

> Even if it's not running in memory it's just a question to create a schema
> to avoid all unnecessary writes to permanent storage. Logs  can be limited
> to a short period in memory (in another Console) or sent to a remote syslog
> server. It doesn't change much for the base OS to read anything it needs.
> I thought I had seen these years ago during the development of the first
> versions of oVirt Node, but maybe I misunderstood or it was not considered
> for newer versions.
>
> Perhaps there is something around this on some roadmap. As I mentioned,
> this is a significant saving for any platform not having to use any disks
> in the Compute Nodes.

Yes, would be cool to run it from SD card - but indeed you can't store logs
there, as just the write speed alone will slow you down (write speed over
time will degrade significantly in SDs, due to garbage collection).
Writing logs to memory is a bit of a problem - when you'll have issues,
they might get lost. A better and more performant solution would be to
write them to a remote server (rsyslog or such).

But really, running off the smallest SSD (64-128GB) is not very expensive
(~50$ from ebay/amazon), fast and does not consume a lot of electricity.
Y.